Saturday 25 August 2012

Evy Jane Interview

We first heard of these guys when a fan of the page shared a 'Sayso' with us and straight away we decided we wanted to know more. We could only manage a quick chat with them as their very busy. Although they say they are R&B, I probable would describe them as an experimental electronics which is all the rage at the minute with the likes of AlunaGoerge doing amazing. Anyway tell us what you think I addicted and have been since I heard the first track.  


Ok how did you start in the music business? Is it something you have done since you were a little kid?


Evelyn: I was always involved in music somehow, and I've wanted to be a popstar since I was like 3, but I don't feel like I really got into the industry until we released the EP. It's all a state of mind, anyways. What does it really mean to be "in the business"? That you've quit your day job? I've always been into singing, playing, producing. I mean, I did some backup singing and stuff a couple years ago but that wasn't serious.

Jeremiah: No not really in the business sense but I've been making and playing music since I was a teenager. . .so in that sense I guess so. . something like that anyway.

Sorry I didnt realise there was two of you? How do you know each other?

Ah well we're all over the place as a duo..though the name can be misleading for sure. We met two years ago though a mutual friend, talked music and hit it off. I (Jermiah) gave Evelyn a riddim that eventually became Sayso and she made up her incredible vocal melodies and that was it , we were hooked.




What are your kind of influences? Can I hear a bit of Burial?

Jeremiah: Yea there is some Burial for sure. . but then there some Hope Sandoval as well. .. or My Bloody Valentine. Also, my friends are a huge influence as well Ben Ulis or Calamalka as producers and bands like Basketball or 'Ben Rogers and the Trail of Broken Treaties'. Its kind of a tough question because there is so much good music being made. I mean, there is way more crap for sure but there is also a lot of quality music being put out. . I guess one just needs to be picky about what they listen to. And I suppose its the quality of composition and production in music that influences me. Balam Acab. . so good.

That is very true thats what we are trying to push, the good music which is sewn between a lot of poor music. Do you think your music has a space in the charts? Alunagoerge are doing very well at the minute.


Well we hope so!


When can people see you live? Are you planning any festivals?

Yea we're playing some west coast festivals this summer. One being Bass Coast and the other being Shambhala. Both are killer fests though Bass Coast is a lot more intimate .. what Shambhala used to be before it got infested with dummy's.

Other than that we've played a bunch around Vancouver. Check our page and you'll see a string of shows we've done. As well, we're planning an EU tour for the fall. Late Sept and/or Oct.


To hear more from these guys check out there Facebook and Soundcloud.

Facebook

Soundcloud

To here new tracks, reviews and interview from the newest bands/artists/producers LIKE and follow us.

Facebook

Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment