Friday 24 August 2012

Owen Kimberlee-Penrice Interview


Owen Kimberlee-Penrice came on to our attention after Charlotte Carpenter (Click on her name to read an interview) told us about him. We had a listen to his tracks on Soundcloud and really liked the Devon born singer-songwriter/rapper. If you are a fan of Ben Howard but also like Jamie T this guy will be right up your street.


So how long have you been playing music?

I had a guitar thrust into my lap since I was big enough to hold one. My dad is a guitarist who pretty much forced me to train as a classical guitarist.

I guess you thank him now but there must of been points you didnt want to learn?


There were point i didn't want to practice more so! But yes I'm glad he did make me do it. I couldn't imagine life without my music now.

So playing a guitar from a young age when did you decide to start writing music?

Well, I started playing saxophone at the age of 12 and joined a big band with whom I toured Europe. But I've been writin since I got to secondary school.

What made you change your style from classic to what you do now? and how would you describe your sound now?


I think that ultimately it came to trying to imitate other peoples sounds to begin with. And developing that, taking aspects I liked from different genres. I love the sentiment and the history of folk music.
But recently I have been developing my rapping- its something that rhythmically and lyrically challenges and enthrals me. So at the moment it's predominately based around that. So a folk-rap feel? Maybe? Haha

Haha I really like your track 'Cross My Heart' its like a folk Jamie T. What rappers do you listen to?

My hero is mike skinner! But I love biggie and PAC. Watch the throne and their respective solo careers. I'm really into this American dude called hopsin and the moment and a uk battle rapper from Bradford called lunar c. Oh- not forgetting Kano
Thanks a bunch i love Jamie t.


So your getting in to your rap a lot have you always been in to it?

I've always admired the skill it takes to write and deliver rap. Since original pirate material I've always had a big interest in garage and uk rap

What else do you listen to at the moment?


I'm really into Cosmo Jarvis, Ben Howard, jeff buckle and Joni Mitchell at the moment aswell

So I heard of you through Charlotte Carpenter who do you guys know each other?

I emailed her with my music an she booked me for a festival in Northampton, which isn't happening anymore. But she appreciates my music and I do hers aswell. A lot of mutual appreciation. And she has promoted my music in the circles she knows, for which I am eternally grateful

Too hear more from Owen Kimberlee-Penrice check out his Facebook and Soundcloud.


Facebook

Soundcloud


To hear new music, interviews and reviews daily LIKE and follow us.

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment